The Great Escape

I recently took a trip to the Dominican Republic to catch some sun. Ohio has been the new North Pole so it was much needed. This post was going to be solely about the pictures I've taken but I left DR with a bit on my mind. Throughout my entire trip I was approached by many locals asking was I Dominican. "Your skin, its just like mine" a Gentleman said. I replied "No, I am American." If you look at Dominicans they come in a large variety of colors as do African Americans. Reality of it all is that we are all African descendants. The Dominicans are mainly those of who slaves ships stopped at the island or didn't make it to the United States. Which means I could of easily been walking past someone who has the same blood as I, but that truth will forever remain unknown.

What's unfortunate is that if you are darker in skin you are automatically "black" which is a color not a nationality. Black history is really dark in terms of true knowledge of where we come from. Africa is very large in size and African Americans are from all over. We lack identity as a race because we aren't a race, just as Germans and the French are both European they are very different people. There's no way you can expect all Africans Americans or "black people" to act as one race because we aren't. I would love to call myself Egyptian American, Nigerian American, Kenyan American... I think you all get the point. African Americans have a real struggle that will forever live on until we all trace our DNA back to Africa.

Just thought I would put my mind on you all. Food for thought.

Enjoy these nice Summery pictures DR is beyond beautiful

 With this look I decided to grab flowers from the island to make a pocket square, Sunglasses by Ray ban



 Thin knit yellow shirt by Zara, Polo Ralph Lauren trunks, Vibram shoes








Comments

Post a Comment